Saturday, August 2, 2008

hitting the height of boredom on a saturday night in kampala

Life is such a trip. I left Sudan early the other morning. A rushed exit in a Land Rover full of people thinking we're a taxi, a baby on my lap, luggage to the roof, heading to Moyo to catch a flight to kampala, Uganda. With no idea what's next I wonder, Is this what it feels like to be refugee? Probably not, but i'm homeless with my life on my back, that's gotta be close. ;)
I'm now safely in Kampala chillin out before heading to the next destination.

It's great to be back in a city. I had a HOT SHOWER today..haha oh yes. It felt like pure luxury. I went to a mall and ate a shawarma (which i had been CRAVING) and ice cream...I found Haribos (!!!!) It's been lush.
However at the end of the day, I miss Wudu. =( The little village in bush country Sudan that I called home for the last month. It always completely surprises me how I fall in love with those places. No electricity, running water, stores -they barely had a market, just a hut that I shared with a million and a half spiders... shudder... Yet it was great. I'll never forget walking down the dirt path into..."town" and having a few dozen kids emerge from their houses calling "Sandra, Sandra, how aw you!?" They're so considerate ;)
(Private joke for those of you who have lived in Africa)
The first couple weeks were great with a team from California there with me. Travelling around to schools and doing open air meetings, miracles, signs, wonders, lotsa fun. The last couple weeks there was 'independent' living on a ACC base just working under GCM getting to experience jesus showing up in crazy ways.

It's always so neat seeing him heal hearts, minds and bodies. I'm still amazed when his love comes and people are instantly healed. Healed! Like really. (?) I can't do that! It's just amazing. About a dozen people were healed of pains -headaches, backaches, arthritis...ulcers, just on the side of the road or in the market. In the pediatrics ward babies were SENT HOME after being healed of malaria. People were coming up to me saying how they tried praying to Jesus and he was nice and He answered so now they were surrendering their whole selves to him. It was fabulous.

Last week I was sick with the flu too. That part wasn't so fabulous.

And it's Saturday night and I'm in a strange city with nothing to do. That part, not so fabulous either. lol.

Blogs are always so bizarre. It's like the stories that don't make the newsletter, stuff that doesn't go to Grandma...

Tomorrow I'm gonna start writing "untold stories of Sudan'. Just weird things that happen that...don't normally make the cut, haha, but still have value to me so they get the blog! ;)

Please continue to send me your updates. Dates, mates, babies and everything in between!

Also if you want my personal updates that explain what i'm actually doing (lol more than just trying to "love a nation to life" haha) then just send me an email
->cass.basnett@gmail.com.

Miss you all!! ....Seriously... =)

No comments: