Saturday, August 9, 2008

life as of today...

Oh my goodness life is bliss right now. I just love it. Not that everything is perfect or even sorted, haha but I'm just so loved and in love that I just can't help but giggle.
Right now I'm in a place called Tororo, a village in Uganda that hugs the border of Kenya. It's amazing minus some crazy bugs -half wasp half beast.
But before Tororo I have a fun story about the UN.

As many of you know I have this thing where... I believe in walking as his favourite... and through that going into strange places expecting to have locked doors open before me cause, well, I'm his favourite. lol... So this was another one of those moments. To lay a foundation- without contacts it's hard to go anywhere. Almost impossible unless Jesus specifically says to do it that way. So last week, while in Kampala I decided the UN would be a good place to get contacts and I left to pay them a visit and possibly speak with someone about the Sudan.It was neat though as lately I've been so stirred about Ugandan IDP camps and working and learning in them before heading up to Darfur, Sudan, to launch things in IDP camps there. (sorry, I'm leaving wholes, hope you understand)
So Monday afternoon I headed out to OCHA wearing my most professional clothes (considering I'd been living in the bush for a month) and my NGO hat (not a fashion statement just the card that I was choosing to play that day). I started with the front desk and at first was informed that there was nobody around to chat about the Sudan so I left. Half way down the street feeling a little lost I hear someone calling for me and I turn around to see a woman RUNNING after me! She said they didn't have anybody from Sudan but would I like to talk to the man in charge of the LRA affected areas? lol "Sure"... I was sent to his secretary who told me he was out and when he's in he's normally really busy. But we got chatting and off came the NGO hat and out came the giggle and the smile and she booked me an appointment! This was the start of a spiral of interviews with various UN directors of refugees and IDP's as they were giving me contacts and advce on how to get into the camps and what to say when inside and oh if I need a lift call this lady cause it's beter then the bus! I don't know if it's always that easy but I was pumped.

How I got to Tororo and what I'm doing here is another story that once again involves less then 24 hours notice before I was on a bus to work in the a place that I had never heard of before. But I don't feel like writing details now. Know that I"m safe and happy still living day to day.

I'm heading to Kenya next week for a GCM semi-annual woman's staff retreat (hahaha) and IDP camps the week after.

Juba is still a process but one we're still working on and Wudu is still sort of on the mind as the guys call me a couple times a day with "We miss you! Come back!" Haha. Such goofs.

No comments: