Tuesday, May 22, 2007

a little AYS action

Completely strapped for cash I recently got a job as a banquet server. The company is AYS and they do fancy dinners such as movie premiers, celeb parties, rich people’s gatherings etc. (The fact that I got the job was such a miracle as I showed up to the interview late, soaking wet and without being able to hear in my left ear due to an ear infection). I had my first job on Friday at a millionaire’s house. Now most of you know, I don’t really care who you are or how much money you have. Truthfully (as bad as it is) I find it easier to love the poor and broken then the rich and “whole”. (cough cough) So I’m on my way to wait at this dinner and I start crying realizing just how far this is from my heart, I do my best to suck it up but it doesn’t get much better. When I arrive the other workers weren’t very nice to me and my supervisor didn’t seem to like me. I bolted to the bathroom and did a panicky “God what’s up!” He was so sweet and just said “Cass, just do it for me.” Instantly a joy comes over me and I go back out to serve a platter of 260 pound “mini beef burgers” (about $630 for one of many plates of canapés). Well the night shifted and it seemed that all the guests liked me best! Suddenly the supervisor wasn’t so mean and by the end of the evening instead of cleaning up I was in charge of all the guests, making sure they were all topped up and happy. Haha. It was very sad though as those hundred pound dishes often went in the trash. We were aloud to eat some so long as we kept working and I found it soon became “one for me, one for the garbage”. That could only last so long however before the nausea kicked in.
It was so frustrating though seeing all the food going in the rubbish bin that I soon began to collect it. I think everyone thought I was a little weird at first as I start talking about the homeless and how we could develop programs to give the leftovers to street sleepers. They said I could do what I like and by the end of the night I had a trash bag of food that I hauled home.
My job Monday was much different. It was a L’Oreal party (is that even how spell it?) for the upper class and celeb’s. Apparently big shots were there and I felt quite out of the loop as I didn’t know any of them. I had two VIP tables where people would walk straight from the runway to my table but I didn’t know them. They didn’t tip either so I don’t know why they were so special. Lol. (Rumor had it that Beyonce was there but I looked for her and didn’t see her so I think it was made up)
So there you have it. London takes a twist as I now work for the richest of rich yet the poorest of poor. lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cassy.. I know that wouldn't have been an easy thing for you to do, but I hope it gets better as time goes on.. Maybe in some weird way it'll all end up helping you to help less fortunate people.. You're tough so I know it'll be alright.. But in the meantime, since you're around 'celebrities' and whatnot.. if you see Michael Buble, give him a great big hug for me! hahaha I love you hun.

Love Steph

Anonymous said...

Hey Cassandra,

Love the blog, and love you. I was thinking that 260 pounds of burger was alot of meat lol, (you're talkin' to a farm girl from Saskatchewan, hehe). We sure miss having you at street outreach. Ezekias said that he didn't know picking up garbage could be so much fun, so many opportunities to pray with the people, or just shake their hands (which as you know, isn't just a handshake, not with Jehovah Sneaky). Anyway, great to hear the thoughts of your heart and what God is doing through you. Shine On!! Love & Prayers, Melody