Thursday, February 22, 2007

I made it to London! Everything went well, I think the most stressful part was packing before hand. But I did it, my entire life in a suitcase, 2 backpacks, and a computer case. My flights were good too. I wasn't sad or anything until TO when a man started an unusual conversation with me. He was from Tanzania travelling back to Dar and wanted me to go with him. After I said no he decided we should meet up in London then. Now it wasn't bad but it triggered something inside. Suddenly I realised where I was and started panicking. The whole.. What did I just do? I'm travelling across the ocean with no real plans, direction, anything, just clinging to a couple promises from my jesus. What on earth? Like, oops? I'm doing good now. We had a nice long chat and i'm enjoying London life. The area i'm living in now is Bethnal Green. It's 50% muslim and 50% "other". It has a split personality. On one hand it's known for it's gangs and "Jack the Riper" and the other side it's known for it's trendy stores and "posh" streets.
It's a very heavy area but on the verge of transformation :)
Seeing Laura (my new flatmate) lol was great. We went out for Indian food last night :) to celebrate my arrival and just talked about what God's been saying to us bout London. WELL our chins were quickly bruised as it's so similar for the most part and EXACTLY the same in others. To a "tee". It's just crazy. (Speaking of tea. Turns out it really is the thing you do in London.) But yeah, so good seeing her again. I think it'll still take a couple days to just catch up but it'll be fun. I think that sums up my little intro to the english life. My flat is super cute, apparently Laura really likes Ikea and most of the place looks fresh from the magazine. Sometimes I look around and totally wonder how I got here BUT i'm sure that will pass with time?
And so to end, here are just some random facts of life.
-I love Indian food
-It took us about an hour and a half to drive home from the airport. Turns out London roads really don't make sense. That and they have stop lights every 2 meters...
-Laura's flat is directly across from where Rolland and Heidi did their London street church 15 years ago. Coincidence?
-After hearing nothing but english accents for only a day I find my thoughts are already "polluted" :)
-Guess what genius brought the wrong converter?
-Things here are green and budding
-Just for my Dad... My computer works again! I didn't fiddle with Norton I just told God that with you not here he was my only dad so it was his job to fix it. Next time I turned on my computer (like for the billionth time) it worked. perfect. So now it just needs juice and i'll be set.

4 comments:

Susan Klassen said...

I love it. I already love hearing about the God adventure you are on. It's amazing really that He's brought you there to connect with someone who's exactly moving in the same direction as you. Yay God! Your place sounds pretty cool; I'm a major Ikea fan you should see my house. Oh, and the tea thing that's all our English friends down the street mostly drink too. Apparently tea tastes better in the porcelain/china teacups it's supposed to keep it warmer longer. So I think you already know I sell Arts & Crafts supplies online so we have decided after some consultation with a few people and since it's already in place that's what I should focus on and build up. Because I can actually do this anywhere so if we move the business isn't affected.

love ya my friend,

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey Cassy Bassy. I'm glad you got there in a relatively calm manner.. And I hope you called your parents!! lol Everything is good here.. We're actually under a snowfall watch so if it snows and ruins my rascal flatts concert night i'm going to be an unhappy girl. The team is off to Can West so hopefully the men or the women can pull off some good results! Anyway, I love you and miss you already!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cass, In the words of your fav author, "Mystery is the privilege of walking with Jesus. Walk of faith is living according to mysteries we can't explain. To obey only when we see a favorable outcome is not obedience."
love ya'
M.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo. I'm so proud of you. You'll be talking with an English accent in no time. I found myself reading your post with an English accent. :)

That place is definitely on the brink of transformation now that you're there!!