Monday, November 9, 2009

From War Zones to High Heels

I’m back! I’ve safely returned to LA. I am in one piece and very happy. My flight took forever but it was worth it in the end. :) I’m still stuck in jet leg however (fell asleep at 8pm last night and was up at 4:30am this morning) but culture shock hasn’t been a problem! Yesterday I was at my friends wedding. The reception took place at a GORGEOUS house in Orange County where we ate amazing cheeses and crackers, and goofed around on the tennis courts and putty green in the back yard. Visions of the dessert table will be imprinted in my mind for weeks. I did have to laugh as I dipped a strawberry in chocolate fondue and thought of the rice and bread I’ve been eating for weeks. Two very different worlds, but accepting that is half the battle.

I’ll be back in the west for about two months. The states until December 17th then I’ll travel back to Saskatoon, Canada for Christmas with my family. I’ll be back in LA for New Years and about a week after that I’ll start the journey back to Africa.

If you live in Saskatchewan or the LA area and want to have tea-there’s my schedule!

Things are pretty exciting. I’m still working on Africa stuff, just more the admin side. Perhaps mixing both worlds. Trying to get used to my favorite pair of black heels, I scribbled down fundraising ideas while strolling around the house. It’s just like riding a bike. (Except for the stilettos, those will take more getting used to. They’re like a unicycle) Now the only thing that gives away the fact that I’ve been in the bush a few months (besides the endless flow of stories) are the strange bites on my arms. And my back. They’re going away, but still quite itchy.

That deserves more explanation. See, it was the Sunday before returning to America while staying in Uganda, when I woke up in the middle of the night with my arms, ridiculously itchy. I’d been sleeping with anti-itch cream for months so I just lathered up and went back to sleep. In the morning before my shower however, I curiously peeked at my arm to see what had been the matter. Literally- I screamed. My arm was COVERED in little red dots. For the next few hours the swelling got worse. I tried to count them once and stopped at 57. (The left forearm alone). It was DISGUSTING. I went to the managers of the sketchy hostel I was staying at and they seemed more concerned then me. They had to fumigate the ENTIRE place just because of my bites. (Not sure that’s the accomplishment I make it sound to be)

But other than that, things are great. I’m thrilled to be back with loved ones and ready to celebrate the holidays!

To elaborate more on the fundraiser real quick… We’re looking at offering really neat Christmas gift ideas! So if you haven’t finished your Christmas shopping (which should be everyone except for my parents) then hold out a little longer! I hope to have details within the next week!

Not sure how many blogs I’ll write while I’m back. Might try to post some of the “Lost testimonies” or funny stories that if I don’t blog, will never get told. But keep checking here as I’ll update the important things and upcoming news, as two months will FLLY by! For now here are a few pics to give you more of a visual of my week of transition! :)

Bringin' some Kingdom in the IDP camps
Fabulous kids in the military barracks
Bites much? (that was when they FIRST appeared. you can't see really but my entire arm was so swollen!)This picture makes me laugh- we all look so... "placed"?
Tennis courts at their house!The happy GORGEOUS couple!

No comments: