Monday, October 6, 2008

lil bit of girl talk

One of the FAQ's from strangers that I meet who hear about my adventures in Africa is about marriage. "You're doing this single?!?". lol. I smile and sort of shrug my shoulders, my answer usually depends on my mood at the moment but all in all the freedom of being single can be bliss. HOWEVER, i'm not looking for anything serious right now, BUT if anyone wants to be a stand in fake bf, i wouldn't turn it down. ;)

The problem started late one night with my house mamma telling me of plans. Tired and sort of spaced I just nodded as she told of ppl "coming around" in the next few days-weeks. Suddenly it dawned. She's only named men and their professions. Whoa! "They're coming cause they just want to be friends right?" She smiles.
We then go into a debate on why she should not try to marry me off in the next few months. I'm pulling everything i've got but in the end it amounts to nothing, and so, the awkward "blind meetings" and persistent suitors began.
I feel I could write a book on bad pick up lines. Including "Sandra... one day...you and I , could be one". lol...Something to look forward to. The men come at all hours announcing their presence with "I have come". (as if there should be trumpets) NOw I don't know if it's "love" that blinds them or if they're just not that bright but they sort of figure anytime is the right time for..."romance".
I could be in bed, middle of the night, early in the morning or sick decked out on the couch, and they could care less. Some speak english some only Arabic. I find them both equally....amusing. Some with poor english will have phrases they've rehearsed to which, no matter your response answer "thank you very much".
Ex:
"Sandra...I wish to travel with you to Canada"
"Sandra...I want to meet your father."
or my fav.
"Sandra...I will follow you today." lol.
Oh but it gets better. Some are sweet and will come with gifts. The smarter ones find out what I like and bring that specifically. But others, they think a little more from the heart and come with song. But not just one, oh no. They come with and entire hymn book. One man, i'm sure a really nice guy, said He wanted to sing for me. I protested and told him I was busy but a woman's words have little value here and he pulls out his book and raises it high. Then from 'Hymn 67' He starts to belt out "I have decided to follow Jesus". Lol. I bite my tongue not to laugh. Harder but it doesn't work. Thinking of sad things, war- famine. Nope.
Hymn 92, 27, 36...Oh my goodness FINE i'll date you if you stop! ( Where's shawn bolz's dating blog when you need it?)
Now I know this may sound rude and these are probably great opportunities to "learn to love" but really, sometimes it's just too much. I've tried your forward, i'm busy plz go, but they answer "I don't mind just watching". I've tried picking up a book or my journal, but they just keep talking. One time I interrupted, shook his hand, thanked him for coming and said i'd see him later and left. Half an hour later I returned to see him still sitting in my house "Sandra, I have waited". Lol. NOOO!!! Hahaha. Dang it, where's my foreign internet lover when I need him?
At first it was funny and I was easily amused, now though, it's gotten old.
I've spoken to my house mamma seriously and I think she's putting a stop to the more persistent ones. But I just thought I'd give you all a glimpse into my love life and bid any single lady travelers a word of advice "get yourself a fake man before you venture out. Take a picture with him, keep it in your wallet and don't lie to ppl but if they ask questions, show them the photo and leave the room immediately" =)

1 comment:

Patrice said...

Great Words Cass!!
Keeping you in prayer as well, lady. xo